I'm going to die

Two years after the accident I graduated from high school. Eefje had dropped out a year earlier. She could no longer go outside for longer than a few hours. So she was home schooled.
Of course I still went to visit her as often as I could.

Every time I visited I could see her gradually getting worse. I often took her out for walks with her wheelchair. At first she always smiled and laughed when we went out. But over time her smiles faded and she stopped laughing.

I remember the moment when she told me..
We were out on one of those walks in the park. We had stopped near a nearby lake and were chatting about something. I don’t remember what the topic was.
I just remember her suddenly going quiet and staring at the ground.
Obviously I got worried and asked her what was wrong. When she looked up at me there were tears in her eyes.

“I’m going to die.”

Those words still haunt me today.

“I’m going to die.”

She told me the doctors had told her she only had one, maybe two years left. Her lungs were failing and there was nothing they could do.
I could barely respond. We both cried and I hugged her.
We stayed there like that for a long while.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burned

Murderer

Merry Fucking Christmas